YOU ARE NECESSARY. STAND WITH DANCE!
We count on you to make our essential work possible. Dancewave is a dynamic dance education organization serving approximately 6,000 students of all ages each year. During this challenging and uncertain time, the essential health benefits of dance are more important now than ever before. Your support means the world to us as we work to keep dance programs afloat for students who have been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
There are many ways you can support Dancewave this season – most of which include dancing with us!
- DOUBLE your contribution by donating during our Annual Board of Directors’ 1:1 Match Event! November 16-18 only.
- Join us for in-person classes during Dancewave’s Week of Giving (December 1-4). Discounted classes available for all ages (see below for details).
- Become a member: Make a recurring monthly donation of $10 or more and gain access to membership perks including free classes, special promotions, and more.
- Give the Gift of Dance to a loved one. Gift certificates available in any amount towards any of our classes.
- Try any of our virtual classes for Youth and Adults. Class participants always have the option to add a $5 donation to their class registration.
- Spread the word about Dancewave to a friend or family member. EVERY BODY can experience joy and health benefits from dance.
Checks may be addressed to: Dancewave, 182 4th Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11217
We deeply appreciate your generosity and support. Thank you!
Did you know? There are increased benefits for charitable contributions in 2020, as per the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act:
- Individuals can now deduct 100% of their cash gifts on itemized returns, for up to 100% of their adjusted gross income (AGI).
- The Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) from individual retirement accounts has been suspended.
- Continued opportunity for individuals age 70 1/2 or older to make a qualified charitable distribution (QCD). Donors may give as much as $100,000 directly from an IRA plan to a qualified charity.
- A new tax benefit for non-itemizers: Individuals can now deduct up to $300 of their total charitable gifts on standard deduction (non-itemized) returns.
- Corporations can now deduct up to 25% of their taxable income.
Join us at the Dancewave Center! 1 WEEK ONLY: In-person Youth & Adult Classes
Giving Tuesday is December 1st. Join us as we open our doors for in-person classes, offered in honor of this global generosity movement. All proceeds from these $10 donation-based classes go to Dancewave’s Fall Fundraiser (consider adding on an extra $5 donation to further your gift!). Maximum 8 students per class to maintain social distancing, with all other COVID-19 Health & Safety Policies in place (see below).
Classes are held at the Dancewave Center – 182 4th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11217. Advanced registration required.
Week of Giving Class Schedule:
Tuesday, December 1 – 3:15-4:00pm | Creative Movement (Ages 3-6) with Phoebe Ballard
Wednesday, December 2 – 4:00-4:45pm | Modern (Ages 7-11) with Madeline Warriner
Thursday, December 3 – 3:30-4:15pm | Storytelling through Dance (Ages 3-6) with Natalie Stehly
Thursday, December 3 – 7:00-8:00pm | Barre Vida (Adults) with Autumn Oftedal
Friday, December 4 – 7:00-8:00pm | Hip Hop (Adults) with Alicia Hutchinson
If the $10 donation price proves cost prohibitive, please email us. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.
COVID-19 Health and Safety Standards:
Learn more about our COVID-19 Health & Safety Standards here.
Thanks to your support, we were able to reach our $5,000 fundraising goal during our Board of Directors’ 1:1 Match Event! Our new Board of Directors will match this dollar-for-dollar – so that makes $10,000 raised for tuition and programming!
Dancewave Board of Directors:
Todd Spillane – Board Chair
Vanessa Williams – Vice Chair
Alan Wen – Treasurer
Tiffany Gibbs – Secretary
Jeso O’Neill – Board Member
Nicole Best – Board Member
Kinjal Parekh – Board Member
Dagmar Nedbal – Board Member
WHAT WE DO
SCHOOL & COMMUNITY PROGRAMS
- Dancewave’s School and Community Programs bring dance residencies to public schools, community centers and senior centers across all 5 NYC boroughs. In fiscal year 2020, Dancewave brought an astounding 76 dance residencies to schools and community centers, including District 75 (all abilities), reaching over 6,000 students of all ages. With generous support from the Laureus Foundation, Dancewave is proud to offer its new Race & Dance curriculum for free to select school partners this coming year. Read more
- In 1995, Dancewave’s founder Diane Jacobowitz began hosting the Kids Cafe Festival, bringing citywide youth to stages at BAM, the Kitchen, and other leading NYC venues to perform the works of world-renowned contemporary choreographers. Established in 2001 as Dancewave Company, our unique program provides rigorous pre-professional training and quality, holistic mentoring grounded in Dancewave’s Culture Model for youth ages 7-18. Read more
SCHOOL AT DANCEWAVE
- Held at the Dancewave Center in Gowanus, Brooklyn, the School at Dancewave provides dance classes and summer camps for youth of all ages and abilities. Classes include Creative Movement, Ballet, Modern, Jazz, African, Hip Hop, Musical Theater and more. Our annual Summer Dance Intensives offer teens from across New York City the opportunity to study intensively for two weeks with renowned dance professionals. Read more
DANCEWAVE THROUGH COLLEGE & BEYOND (DTCB)
- DTCB is a dance-specific college fair and career preparatory event serving high school students and up to 60 college dance programs internationally. To date, over $10 million in college scholarships have been offered to DTCB attendees by the participating colleges. This year, Dancewave’s college connection event was the only live college fair and virtual audition to persevere through COVID-19, allowing auditionees to submit home videos for consideration by 40 top college dance programs from the safety of home. Co-presented in 2019 and 2020 by Dance Magazine. Read more
MOVING TOGETHER – FREE CLASSES
- At the peak of the pandemic’s onset, Dancewave mounted its free all-ages dance classes for the first time to a virtual platform, offering essential health benefits and cross-cultural community connection when it was needed most. This year, 2,500 participants and counting have tuned in from more than 8 countries worldwide. Moving Together provides a dance experience and also educates students on the cultural and historical significance of social dance styles ranging from Bollywood, Dancehall, Lindy and Swing, Arabic Dance, Latin Dance, Modern/Contemporary and dance forms from across the African Diaspora. Read more
YOUTH LEADERSHIP COUNCIL
- Dancewave’s Youth Leadership Council (YLC) has been integral to keeping social justice at the forefront of Dancewave’s impact. Through an examination of youth-led historical movements, current events and media influence, Dancewave holds space for youth to dialog, connect and support each other as ambassadors of change and forward thinking. Dancewave’s YLC is part of a citywide advocacy program for teens run by NYC Service, in partnership with the NYC Mayor’s Office. Read more
ARTS EDUCATOR TRAINING
- Our Arts Educator training combines decades of teaching experience with our field research from leading hundreds of dance residencies in New York City public schools, community and senior centers over the past 25 years. Each year, Dancewave creates a space where educators can share in an evolving conversation about embodied learning through dance, the arts, and holistic approaches to community building in the classroom. Our 2020 Educator Training focused on cultivating racial equity in the classroom with guest speaker and social justice advocate David King. We expanded our program in fiscal year 2019 with support from the National Endowment for the Arts. Read more
ADULT CLASSES & STUDIO RENTALS
- Dancewave offers affordable adult classes and studio rentals, creating a community space – both at the Dancewave Center and virtually – that you can count on each week. Adult dance and fitness classes present seasonal class opportunities with compassionate expert teaching artists who care about make dance accessible to a diverse range of bodies and backgrounds. Read more
CONTRIBUTE IN OTHER WAYS
○ Donate auction and raffle items
○ Donate tickets to performances to further Dancewave students’ education and breadth of experience
○ Donate services, such as printing and advertising to help reduce the cost of producing our annual events
○ Ask your company to match your donation
○ Volunteer! We can always use extra hands throughout the year at events and during busy times. Visit our Volunteer page to find out more!
Contact email@example.com to learn more about how your contribution can make a difference!
Photo by Rebecca Oviatt/Becca.Vision