Dancewave Company Program is a rigorous dance training program that builds ability, artistic integrity, and leadership skills. Our dancers gain the opportunity to grow through an increasingly challenging program that incorporates modern and ballet technique classes, rehearsals with renowned choreographers, and a variety of performing opportunities. Our proven effective training, based on the Dancewave Culture Model, provides young artists with leadership development, individual mentoring and restorative whole-person education. Dancewave Company Program students interested in pursuing dance after high school receive specialized college counseling from our teaching staff and our unique nationwide college event, Dancewave Through College & Beyond.
“It introduced me to more dance than I could even imagine. Dancewave changed the way I look and feel about dance, and pushing me to follow my own goals and dreams.” - Dancewave Company Alumna
2021-2022 COMPANY OPENINGS FOR DANCERS AGES 7-18
Dancewave is seeking seasoned dancers who possess creativity, focus, passion, ability to work collaboratively, strong performance quality, adaptability, perseverance, and interest in arts activism to join our exciting Youth Company Program.
Dancewave's Company Program includes:
Dancewave Company I – Ages 16-18
Dancewave Company II – Ages 13-15
Youth Modern Company – Ages 10-12
Creative Modern Company – Ages 7-9
2021-2022 Company Auditions are now open! Interested young artists should complete the application form below. In-person and video audition options available.
Red: CMC (Ages 7-9) | Green: YMC (Ages 10-12) | Blue: DC II (Ages 13-15) | Yellow: DC I (16-18)
2021-2022 COMPANY PACKAGE & COMMITMENT
- PACKAGE & EXPECTATIONS Company Tuition includes required classes, rehearsals, company Regroup sessions, coaching and mentorship, peer leadership opportunities, and community performances. Students are expected to sign and agree to the Company agreement and attend all of the scheduled sessions and actively participate in Dancewave activities and fundraising campaigns.
- YEARLY COMMITMENT Sessions will run from September 2021 through August 2022.
- COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENTS WORKSHOPS A core element of Dancewave Company and our Culture Model, Regroups are regular meetings in which students, Teaching Artists, and coaches cultivate a supportive community together. Regroups are either scheduled outside of or built into regular class and rehearsal time, depending on the student's age.
WHAT'S NEW DUE TO COVID-19
- VIRTUAL CLASSES & REHEARSALS Dancewave Company classes, rehearsals and regroups will take place virtually via Zoom for the Spring 2021 Semester.
- VIRTUAL PERFORMANCE Company students will culminate their rehearsal process with a Virtual Performance showing for friends, family, and the public via Zoom.
- Please visit our COVID-19 page for updates about reopening.
Dancewave Company brings students into direct contact with leading choreographers! By the time students graduate from our program, they have learned and performed original choreography or staged works by some of the most relevant voices in the contemporary dance field, giving students a competitive edge in their college applications and future careers.
Dancewave Company students have worked in the past with such renowned artists as: Kyle Abraham, Camille A. Brown, David Dorfman Dance, Jamal Jackson, Bill T. Jones, Larry Keigwin, Andrea Miller, Mark Morris, Paul Taylor, Shen Wei, Yin Yue, Julia Ehrstrand, Mike Esperanza, José Limón Dance Company, Bebe Miller, and many more.
DANCEWAVE CULTURE MODEL
Our Culture Model embraces inclusivity, equity and underscores the value of team and community building. We train our teaching artists annually to provide a supportive classroom environment for all students. Dancewave teaching artists and staff work closely together to invest in our young dancers’ social, emotional and overall wellbeing by offering opportunities for mentorship, individualized coaching and one-on-one college guidance and referrals.
Company students are featured performers in our Spring and Winter performances. Typically held at LIU's Kumble Theatre in downtown Brooklyn and venues in Park Slope, our performances are continuing virtually into Spring 2021.
Past performances venues include: Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, Pocantico Rockefeller Estate, Joyce Theatre, DanceNOW Festival, PBS, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Jimmy Fallon Show, Paul Taylor Youth Ensemble Showcase, and more!