Grounded in proven effective practices designed to cultivate young artist citizens, Dancewave’s Arts Educator Training explores holistic and effective approaches to whole-person development in diverse educational settings. Using the Dancewave Culture Model as a platform, Dancewave inspires teaching artists to actively uphold anti-oppressive and culturally responsive standards in teaching, fostering a space where educators can share in an evolving conversation about embodied learning, the arts, and holistic approaches to community building in the classroom.
Dancewave’s Arts Educator training combines over 25 years of teaching experience with field research from hundreds of dance residencies in New York City public schools, community and senior centers. We strive to ignite a passion within educators to make real social change through experiential learning and dance for students of all ages. Our training is applicable to recent graduates, educators, professionals and organizers seeking innovative techniques for connecting with their audience through movement.
2021 Dancewave Arts Educator Training – Teaching for Justice
Tuesday, August 31 – 2:00-6:00pm ET | In-person and Virtual
Working in collaboration with the Teaching Artist Project this summer, Dancewave will offer teaching artists the tools and skills necessary to build inclusive, responsive and developmentally appropriate lesson plans. All participants will work together to refine their personal teaching practice to account for critical thinking, assessment and innovation in the field. Together we will work to develop the tools and skills necessary to build inclusive, culturally responsive and developmentally appropriate lesson plans.
Participants will develop strategies to:
- Encourage student-centered learning, historical literacy, and culturally responsive teaching practices.
- Ground teaching practices in inclusivity, anti-racism, cultural-sensitivity, accessibility, wellness, and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Infuse lesson plans with inquiry, exploration and creativity.
- Engage in meaningful conversations with artists in the field.
Read about our 2020 Arts Educator Training in Dance Teacher Magazine:
TAKE A LOOK FOR YOURSELF!
About the “Strategies for Young Artist Citizens” Model
Designed to cultivate young artist citizens, Dancewave’s interactive workshop combines the Dancewave Culture Model with the Young Artist Citizen model to explore holistic and effective approaches to whole-person development in diverse educational settings for students of all ages.
- Support Students’ Individuality and Ownership of Learning
- Cultivate Leadership, Artistic Expression, and Wellness
- Facilitate Effective/Affirmative Feedback
- Integrate Restorative Practices
- Measure Success through SEL Metrics
- “Strategies for Young Artist Citizens shed light on how language is important to community building. Not only what you say, but how you say it, means a world of difference.”
- “I had a revelation of the importance of placing responsibility back in students’ hands to ensure growth.”
Cover photo by Effy Grey